Exposure to mold can have some unexpected symptoms for anyone. Molds produce mycotoxins as a defense that attack bacteria and other organisms. The FDA regulates these compounds in our foods but not in the air we breathe. They affect indoor air quality and can be detected with air quality testing.
These mycotoxins are not just produced from visible black mold and can be found in HVAC systems year round. If left untreated, they can have some surprising affects on you and your family as mold symptoms are not just limited to people with allergy symptoms, hay fever or asthma.
Allergies – One of the first signs that mold growth is an issue in your home is an increase in allergy symptoms of anyone in your family that suffers from allergies. Affected individuals notice an increase in wheezing, coughing, and sneezing, and some highly sensitive individuals may begin to develop a rash.
Respiratory Illnesses – As mold spores become more numerous in the air and are more readily inhaled, family members may begin to experience signs of respiratory distress, such as a persistent cough and a runny nose which antibiotics cannot cure. In fact, penicillin is derived from the mold penicillium which may worsen the problem.
Sinus Infections – When they disperse into the air, mold spores begin to multiply and eventually reach a critical level. The most common infections occur due to the presence of pathogens such as stachybotrys and chaetomium. The first signs of disease are an inflamed sinus and respiratory tract.
Digestive Problems – The liver is the body’s primary filter, and in a weakened state, it may not be able to produce enough bile to remove toxins from the bloodstream. If you notice any dark or foul-smelling stool while using the bathroom, you may be suffering from digestive issues as a result of severe mold mycotoxin exposure. If left untreated, the infection may affect the liver.
Brain Fog – Mycotoxin spores disrupt neurotransmitter production in the body. Neurotransmitters are responsible for numerous cognitive brain functions and a decrease in their production leads to persistant brain fog.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome – Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) occurs when mold infection begins to get out of control. This describes a condition where feelings of tiredness persist for weeks or months at a time. As the spores spread, you start to breathe in more of the mycotoxins and these toxins affect neurotransmitters that are created in the brain and control its functions.
Unusual Skin Sensations – As a result of the mold infecting your skin, you may begin to develop a rash that consists of tiny red bumps where the mycotoxins inflame the pores and skin cells in the surrounding area. The spores seep into your pores and are resistant to being washed off in the shower or the bath. Using a antibacterial shower gel or body scrub will help.
Chronic Cough – Mold spores breed in the dark, damp areas of your home, and your lungs provide the ideal breeding ground where they can multiply as they please.
Blurred Vision – People who experience high-mold areas in their home may notice inflammation in the corners of their eyes. This may occur to the extent that the edges of the eyelids turn pink or red. Symptoms of itching appear soon after, and the infection then spreads to the sinus, where it creates inflammation in the upper respiratory tract and nasal cavities. If left untreated, mold infects the eyes and nose causing blurred vision and weeping.
Increased Thirst – Infected individuals may find that they start going to the bathroom a lot more frequently than usual and that no matter how much water they drink, they continually feel thirsty. As the mold colonies grow and expand in your home and your body, they start to disrupt normal body functions, such as thirst and urination.
If you have any of these symptoms, consult with your primary care physician. For those you living in the Dallas of Fort Worth Texas area or surrounding cities such as Plano, Richardson, Grapevine, Allen and Carrollton, please see this list of resources available to you nearby: https://iaqrx.com/resource/
There are also ways of providing air restoration by killing mold and inactivating its mycotoxins in your home or office that are non-invasive and all natural. Go to https://iaqrx.com/services for more information.